Friday, May 13 is National Apple Pie Day!
It’s no surprise the classic dish is an American staple. A Google search will turn up tens of thousands of different recipes, with enough stories to fill an encyclopedia.
Maybe you’re new to baking and are looking for something simple. Maybe you want a more unique apple pie with a twist to the classic recipe. Maybe you’re looking to impress your friends or just bake something truly delicious for yourself.
From the traditional apple pie to hand pies and a decadent, no-bake Snickers apple pie, here are five recipes to whet your appetite and celebrate a staple American dessert.
Classic Apple Pie
Let’s start things off with a classic apple pie recipe, courtesy of Taste of Home.
- Double-crust pie dough
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6-7 cups thinly sliced peeled, tart apples
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large white egg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll half of the dough to a 1/8 inch thick circle.
- Transfer to a 9 inch foot plate.
- In a small bowl, combine sugars, flour, and spices.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. And sugar mixture and toss to coat.
- Add filling, dot with butter, into pie plate.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8 inch thick circle and place over filling.
- Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits over top.
- Beat egg white until foamy and brush over crust.
- Sprinkle with ground cinnamon and turbinado sugar if desired.
- Cover edge loosely with foil.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly (20-25 minutes longer).
- Cool on a wire rack and serve with caramel sauce and ice cream.
Apple and Cheese Pie
Now let’s check out pie with a twist. Giada de Laurentiis of Food Network has an Apple and Cheese Pie that you’ve really got to try.
- Butter for greasing pie dish
- 5 Granny Smith apples peeled and quartered
- 1 cup grated sharp white cheddar
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Two 9 inch unrolled and baked refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg white beaten until frothy
Yantic River and rubber duckies:Thousands of rubber duckies will float down the Yantic River June 4. How can you join in?
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter sides and bottom of a 9 inch pie dish.
- Cut apple quarters into 3 wedges.
- Mix with cheese, sugar, butter, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Unroll one crust and place in buttered pie dish.
- brush inside of crust with egg white to coat.
- Pour in apple filling.
- Unroll second crust and place top filling.
- Pinch edge of the top crust and bottom crust together to seal.
- Fold double-edge under and crimp.
- Brush top of pie with more of the egg white.
- Cut several slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake pie until crust is deep golden and filling is bubbling through the slits (1 hour).
- Cover edges with foil if the crust browns too quickly.
- Cool for 20 minutes before serving.
Hand Apple Pies
Looking for a more personal pie? Here’s a recipe for Allrecipes to make a batch or two of your own hand apple pies!
- 1 pound prepared pie dough cut into 4 pieces
- 2 large green apples, peeled and cored
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp water
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp milk
- 1 tsp white sugar
- Line baking sheet with silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Cut peeled and cored apples into quarters, then cut each quarter into 3 wedges, and then into chunks.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Stir apples into hot butter and sprinkle with salt, white sugar, and brown sugar.
- Cook and stir apple mixture until apples are softened (5 minutes).
- Mix in cinnamon and water and continue cooking until apples are soft and stickly (1-2 minutes).
- Spread filling onto a plate to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- From a dough piece into a ball, place on a floured work surface and roll into a circle (about 8 inches in diameter).
- Spoon 1/3 to 1/2 cup apple filling in the center.
- Fold dough over filling, leaving 1 inch of dough on the bottom side.
- Gently press dough closed around filling.
- Fold overhanging bottom part of dough up over the top edge. Pinch the overhang tightly to the top part of the crust.
- Crimp edge tightly closed.
- Transfer pies onto prepared baking sheet.
- Whisk egg with milk in a small bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Brush top of each hand pie with egg mixture and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp white sugar.
- Cut 3 small vent holes in top of each foot.
- Bake in preheated oven until pies are golden brown and filling is bubbling (25-30 minutes).
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
NFA softball:NFA fell short to Waterford in a pitcher’s duel. The screwball riser may have been why.
Old Fashioned Easy Apple Crisp
What do you mean apple crisp doesn’t count? It has apples and cinnamon, plus it’s a New England staple. Just roll with it!
- 6 golden delicious apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter diced into cubes
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 8 by 8 baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, add chopped apples, granulated sugar, 3/4 tsp cinnamon and lemon juice. Stir to combine, then transfer to baking dish.
- In separate bowl, add topping brown sugar, oats, flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, salt, and diced cold butter.
- Blend into pea-sized crumbs.
- Spread topping over apples in baking dish and gently pat to even it out.
- Bake 40-50 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
Snickers Caramel Apple Pie
Let’s get decadent. Here’s a super simple recipe for a Snickers caramel apple pie, courtesy of Key Ingredient.
- 1 foot crust
- 3 green apples, said
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 15-20 mini Snickers chopped
- 2 1/2 cup cool whip topping
- 1/3 cup can sweetened condensed milk
- Spread Snickers on bottom of pie crust.
- Layer apples atop snickers.
- Drizzle caramel on top of filling.
- Combine cool whip and sweetened condensed milk together in a small bowl. Spread on top.
- Add additional Snickers crumble to top mix and drizzle with more caramel.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Enjoy!